Issue link: https://maltatoday.uberflip.com/i/1316125
4 maltatoday | WEDNESDAY • 9 DECEMBER 2020 NEWS Following the acquisition of the Alert Group in 2016 and its successful integration into Deloitte with the launch of Deloitte Digital and the establishment of a Deloitte Consulting Practice in Malta, Deloitte has today announced that Ludwig Micallef and Damian Heath have with effect from December 1 2020 been invited to form part of the leadership team that shall be driving the Deloitte Malta Consulting practice forward. Marc Alden, the Deloitte Malta CEO stated that: "Both Ludwig and Damian possess the technical background and experience to serve our clients and to drive our digital business forward." Together with this new milestone Deloitte Malta has also announced that Claudine Cassar has exited the firm in order to pursue her passion in philanthropic work through her already established Blossom Foundation that focuses on helping children from a disadvantaged background. Deloitte Malta expressed its commitment to continue to invest in its Consulting practice and, on behalf of everybody at the firm, Marc Alden thanked Claudine for her valuable contribution during her time at Deloitte and wished her well for her future endeavours. © 2020. For information, contact Deloitte Malta. MALTA registered 40 new cases of COVID-19 between Monday and Tuesday, with deaths announced. The first case was a 77-year- old man who tested positive for COVID-19 on 4 December and died on Monday at Mater Dei Hospital. The second case was an 89-year-old woman who test- ed positive for COVID-19 on 7 December, and died on Tues- day morning at Mater Dei Hospital. There were 144 recoveries, bringing the total of active cas- es to 1,901. Two more people died with the virus, bringing the death toll up to 157. Yesterday's cases are still being investigated but from the cases discovered, 18 cases were family members of pre- viously known cases, 17 cases were contacts of positive work colleagues and 11 were direct contacts with other positive cases. 1,776 swabs were conducted over the 24-hour period, with a grand total of 450,362 swabs having been conducted since the start of the pandemic. Malta registered 10,699 coro- navirus cases since the start of the pandemic in March. COVID-19: Two more deaths, 40 new cases A 63-year-old man was found dead underneath a tractor in a field in Munxar on Monday evening, the police said. Mario Grima, 63, from Munxar, Gozo was found at 9pm in Triq Ras il-Bajjada. The man was found by police under an over- turned tractor; he had been reported missing hours prior. The Munxar band club Facebook page paid trib- ute to the festa enthusiast. "Mario would always be among the first year after year to give donations and give his all when it comes to fireworks. Lord, grant him eternal peace," it said. He was certified dead on the spot by members of civil protection. Magistrate Bridgette Sultana has opened an in- quiry into the incident. A police investigation is ongoing. PLANS by the government to legislation so that persons of trust could be employed by the government without the need of the tacit approval of the Public Service Commission would be unconstitutional, Repubblika has claimed. In a letter to Anglu Farrugia, Speaker of the House of Repre- sentatives, Repubblika said that its legal advisors had confirmed that amendments put forward in parliament by Justice Minister Edward Zammit Lewis on 1 July, would breach Provision 110 of the Constitution. It insisted that the distinct iden- tity of the public service should not be tainted at the discretion of politicians in government. "We have no doubt that the government is satisfied that the recommended legislation would conform to the Constitution," the NGO said. "Our legal advisors however insist that if Parliament adopts this Bill, the law would be in breach of Provision 100." Repubblika called on the Speak- er to inform MPs that if parlia- ment were to adopt the proposed Bill, the NGO would be contest- ing the legislation in the courts of law, as was its right under the Constitution. 63-year-old Gozitan found dead under overturned tractor in Gozo 'Persons of trust appointment without public service oversight unconstitutional' - Repubblika A 73-year-old man was hospitalised on Monday after he lost control of his vehicle and plunged two storeys into a field, the police said. The accident occurred in Girgenti, within the limits of Siggiewi at 5:30pm. The man, from Dingli, was driving a smart car. The man was taken to Mater Dei Hospital for further treatment, where it was later certified he was suffering from serious injuries. A police investigation is ongoing. Man seriously injured after car plunges two storeys into field