MaltaToday previous editions

MW 12 May 2017

Issue link: https://maltatoday.uberflip.com/i/823173

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 2 of 15

3 TIM DIACONO THIS year's traditional elec- tion leaders' debate at the Uni- versity is in doubt after Prime Minister and Labour leader Jo- seph Muscat told its organisers that he will be unable to attend on the scheduled day. The debate has been sched- uled for Tuesday afternoon at Sir Temi Zammit Hall, and the student organisations who are organising it – namely The Third Eye and the University of Malta Debating Union – have confirmed that only three leaders have accepted the invi- tation, that was sent out on Tuesday. PN leader Simon Busuttil, Alternat- tiva Demokratika chairperson Arnold Cassola and Partit Demokratiku lead- er Marlene Farrugia confirmed with MaltaToday that they will be attend- ing the debate. However, a spokesperson for Mus- cat told MaltaToday that the Labour leader will be unable to attend on the scheduled day because it clashes with a state visit to Malta by the President of Ukraine. "He has no problem debating the three leaders, but he cannot make it on the day. We've met the University of Malta Debating Union to try and reschedule the debate but they told us that they can only hold it on that date and time." Muscat has already turned down Marlene Farrugia's invitation for a de- bate in Zurrieq, arguing that he will only engage in a one-on-one debate with the leader of the Opposition. "If they decide that Marlene Farru- gia is now the Opposition leader, then I will have no problem debating her," he said on Dissett last week. Farrugia lambasted Muscat as a coward and questioned whether he re- spects political parties more than the Maltese public. "Simon Busuttil and myself are not only leaders of our respective parties, but of a national force that wants to see Malta once again take the route of decency, dignity and good govern- ance." In 2103, Muscat had participated in a debate on campus with former Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi and former AD leader Michael Briguglio. maltatoday, FRIDAY, 12 MAY 2017 News PORTOMASOLIVE.COM REGISTER NOW 1 2 3 Register your personal account JOIN DEPOSIT EARN CASHBACK Place your deposit, play & participate in our promotions You're always a winner at Portomaso Live You're always a winner Muscat asks for rescheduling of university leaders' debate Church commission urges political parties to reconsider Gozo tunnel THE Church's environment commission (KA) has urged political parties not to rush into building a tunnel be- tween Malta and Gozo and to first study other alternatives to improve connectivity be- tween the two islands. The Labour and Nationalist parties have both pledged to build a tunnel between Mal- ta and Gozo, arguing that it will benefit Gozitans who are forced to spend several hours commuting between the is- lands. However, the KA called on parties to consider a fast ferry service that ferries passen- gers from Gozo to the Grand Harbour and other destina- tions. It also suggested a mix of services, just as a service between Gozo and Cirkewwa which would include new and modern ships together with a fast ferry service between Gozo and other destinations in Malta. "If these alternatives and others that may be proposed during a public consultation are assessed, it is possible that the financial, economic, environmental, cultural and social impacts of one of the alternatives may be more positive than those of a mas- sive project of a tunnel which during its boring and opera- tions can have major negative impacts," it said. "This is be- ing said without going into the merits of the relative risks of the tunnel project when compared with the risks as- sociated with its alternatives." The KA said that the ferry service will still need to be retained even if the tunnel is constructed, as tourists would still prefer to travel by ferry than through the tunnel and as there would need to be a working alternative to the tunnel in case it needs to be temporarily closed for some reason. It also warned that such a large project carries the risk of cost variations running into several millions of euro, overruns that will need to be borne by the taxpayer. Moreover, it warned that a permanent link may lead to Gozo becoming just like Mal- ta "which has lost, in many areas, the beauty of its char- acteristic landscape". It called for full transpar- ency in the decision-making process, the publication of all studies before a decision is taken with interested parties given enough time to analyze them, and a rigorous plan- ning process. "In the absence of these principles, the KA believes Muscat had participated in the 2013 university debate with former AD leader Michael Brigulio (centre) and former Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi Prime Minister Joseph Muscat says he cannot attend scheduled university leaders' debate on Tuesday as it clashes with a visit to Malta by the President of Ukraine

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of MaltaToday previous editions - MW 12 May 2017