Issue link: https://maltatoday.uberflip.com/i/1546219
5 maltatoday | WEDNESDAY • 19 AUGUST 2026 NEWS Five-star hotel in Zurrieq village core set to for approval THE Planning Authority's De- velopment and Management Di- rectorate is recommending ap- proval for the conversion of two historic properties in Żurrieq's village core into a 21-room five- star hotel with a final decision to be taken by the Planning Board on 10 September. The proposal (PA 6570/25) in- volves changing the use of part of the site from a residential in- stitution approved in 2017 to a Class 3B hotel, alongside alter- ations and an extension to the adjoining property for the same use. The properties at 8, 9 and 10, Triq San Mikiel and 25-26, Mis- raħ ir-Repubblika are within Żurrieq's Urban Conservation Area, overlooking the village square and facing the Grade 1 scheduled parish church of St Catherine. The project is being proposed instead of an approved but nev- er-developed home for the el- derly, which was first given the go-ahead in 2011 and whose permit was renewed in 2017. The permit, granted to the same company behind the hotel appli- cation, remains valid until next year. The old people's home per- mit controversially allowed for a receded rooftop level and was issued despite objections from the Heritage Advisory Commit- tee and the case officer, who had recommended refusal. The current site comprises two adjoining historic buildings – the surviving part of a 17th-cen- tury palazzo and a 19th-century townhouse. The proposal would interconnect the properties and involve internal alterations, a ground-floor swimming pool, changes to the upper setback levels and restoration of the façades. The application is also part of a wider cluster of three accom- modation developments in Żur- rieq intended to operate togeth- er. The main operational hub is planned at a separate proper- ty in the same square covered by PA/06577/25, which is still pending. The PA is accepting the hotel use because the main façade and principal access are located with- in the Secondary Town Centre, where Class 3B hotels are per- mitted without restrictions, even though part of the site falls with- in a Residential Area. The recommendation follows revisions made after the Super- intendence of Cultural Heritage initially raised concerns about internal alterations, demolition works and rooftop volumes. Following revised drawings, the SCH noted the relocation of the pool and changes to the internal layout and subsequently raised no objection, subject to a Works Method Statement and heritage monitoring. Din l-Art Ħelwa had objected to the earlier plans, warning that the hotel conversion would re- sult in excessive commercial in- tensification and harm the char- acter and amenity of the village core. It had also raised concerns about the scale of the upper ex- tension and the loss of the ex- isting formal garden to paving and a swimming pool. These comments were made before the plans were revised during the application process. The case officer says the re- vised proposal does not increase the maximum building height established by the 2017 permit and that reductions to existing setback areas offset the proposed additions. The hotel will require five parking spaces. The PA says no additional provision or contri- bution is needed because the previously approved residential institution had already satisfied a higher parking requirement through an Urban Improvement Fund payment. The application is being rec- ommended for grant of per- mission, subject to conditions including heritage monitoring and a €2,300 bank guarantee. It remains subject to a final Plan- ning Board decision. JAMES DEBONO jdebono@mediatoday.com.mt Foreign inmates nearing end of sentence to be transferred to Hal Far ahead of deportation A number of incarcerated for- eign nationals will be transferred from Corradino Correctional Facility to a building in the Ħal Far detention centre before being deported to their home countries after serving their sen- tences. In a statement issued on Tues- day, the government said the facility has been specifically equipped with security arrange- ments to accommodate foreign nationals who are nearing the end of their prison sentences. Security Minister Glenn Bed- ingfield said the growing num- ber of people facing criminal proceedings has placed increas- ing pressure on the prison popu- lation, noting that while around five people leave Corradino each day, another 10 inmates are ad- mitted. He said discussions have consequently been underway on possible improvements to ex- isting facilities for incarcerated persons. However, Bedingfield pointed out that Corradino was built al- most 200 years ago by the Brit- ish and that, despite improve- ments carried out over the years, there are limits to what can be achieved within the existing in- frastructure. "Alongside this measure, we will be taking further steps to en- sure both security and appropri- ate conditions for every person who is incarcerated," Bedingfield said. "This is being done in full re- spect of Malta's legal obligations and the European conventions to which Malta is a signatory." EVA BRANNON ebrannon@mediatoday.com.mt Hal Far detention centre

